Biography

photo by Otto Kaiser

 

 

ENDRE HEVEZI

Born in Szeged (Hungary)   1923

BA.(Architcture)Technical University of Budapest  1945

MA (Arch) London University   1958

 

 

 

 

His career as an artist started in Denmark in the late forties. Here he painted portraits and landscapes (mainly of Hungarian motifs) and exhibited them in Copenhagen. Stockholm,Odense and several Scandinavian cities.


His large scale works of this period include the wall paintings and external stoneware decorations of the Meeting House of Ikast and the altar piece of the church of Alderslyst.

Having moved to England, after a couple of months of physical labour in Booths and Colcloug's table ware factory in Stoke-on-Trent, he became the designer of the firm. As such did he win the scholarship and title "designer scholar" of the Federation of British Pottery Manufacturers, in 1951.


However, the limited scope of traditional table ware design did not satisfy him and he moved to London. Here, initially he had to take a job as an architect, but never stopped painting and took part in several group exhibitions. His first one-man show at the Drian Gallery in 1968 was followed by number of others, in London, Southampton, Marlborough and other English cities as well as in Budapest, Szeged and Csongrád. Exhibited with artist's societies from Tokyo to Vancouver in many places.

 


He is a founding member of the British Society of Enamellers. With his vitrified enamel pictures he won first prize at the biennale of La Cruna (1988) of Madrid (1998) and a prize in Budapest (2001).

Being involved in architecture revived his interest in architectural decoration. Of these one could mention the mosaics and paintings in the showrooms of the Greek Board of Trade, (London), three dimensional ceramic and bronze decoration in the College of Electronics of the British Army, in Arborfield,

Laminated stained glass panel (approx 2x2m.) at the head office of the international Scout movement,

 

and a smaller one in Chapell's "London Music Centre".

His religious works include a set of ceramic panels symbolizing the Stations of the Cross at the catholic church of Hartley Witney, and, using the same technoque, twelve wall panels of Eucharistic symbols at the Allan Hall Catholic Seminary in Chelsea.

 

He designed and made the stained glass windows of the new Reformed Church at Zalau Transylvania) for which he received the "Pro Partium" price.

But his most significant work of this kind is the decoration of the Debra Libanos Cathedral in Ethiopia.

There include three mosaic panels of Archangels (26 sq.m) and eight depicting the life of Christ (73 sq.m),

 

Stained glass windows showing biblical figures and scenes of the life of St.Tekla Haymenot (over whose tomb the cathedral was built).and some decorative metal doors.

 

Part of this material has been exhibited in the Royal Festival Hall.

His works are in private collections of Europe and America, in the National Gallery of Warsaw and Gdansk, in the National Gallery and the Museum of Decorative Art in Budapest, in the Mora Ferenc Museum of Szeged, the Silkeborg Museum and in the UK, in the Usher Gallery at Lincoln.